Us

Us

Monday, June 27, 2011

School Update!!!

After a loooong 10 plus months, I am almost finished!  I started my last term today and tomorrow is my first day of capstone (I'll explain that in a minute).  I am so excited to be nearing the end, but terrified at the same time.  It has been over 2 years since I have had a real, grown up, full-time job and now it is time for me to start looking again and finally contribute to the household budget again...Jason will be so excited!  6 weeks from now I will be focusing on passing boards and finding a job, BUT there will be no more papers, studying research articles and studying for tests (minus boards...) this means that I can focus on better things, like my house, friends, and most important my family that has been a tad neglected when I leave for an afternoon of studying.  Poor Jason has taken on more than his fair share of household, dog and daughter responsibilities lately. 

After weeks of anxiously waiting for capstone placement, last Tuesday night the email was sent!  I got my first choice which is....Labor and Delivery at Overland Park Regional!!!  I was/am so excited for this experience.  I spent a couple of days in this unit a couple of months ago and loved it!  I saw a couple different births and look forward to more!  I am assigned a nurse on this unit and work the same shifts that she works.  By the end of the 6 weeks, the goal is that I care for her entire patient load as well as feel comfortable with protocols, calling doctors, making decisions, etc.  I am excited, but nervous for this new opportunity (and for my first 12 hour shift, thats a long time!). 

Prayers please!  With this change is schedule comes changes in the daily routine here.  I know days when I "work" I am going to leave before Reegan wakes up and possibly return home after she goes to bed, I know this is going to be hard on me and I am not sure how she will react to it.  Jason is also going to be on his own multiple nights to fix his dinner as well as dinner, bath, and bedtime for Reegs.  I know he'll do great, but it's different than what we are used to!  I promise to keep everyone posted, maybe I'll have some fun stories to share...

4 comments:

The Frenchs said...

So very happy for you Jess! You are going to be so great and that role totally seems like YOU! You two make such a great team!

Leah said...

That is great! I wish you would have been my nurse when I delivered Faith. Although, not sure you would have loved being there for the stress of it!

jmheine said...

Don't forget there are a couple of sets of Grandparents out there that are willing to help out when needed! :)

Just Jana said...

Congrats, Jess, on coming to the end of your schooling and the beginning of your journey as a nurse. You will be awesome, I know it! :)