Us

Us

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year, New Ideas

I know its a common theme this time of year, but even with all the success and blessings of 2011, I'm looking ahead to 2012 and how I can grow and make this year even more amazing.  Why is it that a whole year passes, 365 days, before I reflect seriously on my life and think about those decisions I make on a daily basis and the consequences they have on my marriage, my daughter, my relationships, and every other facit of my life.    

I don't like the term resolution,but I can't think of anything better.  New Year's goals, changes, desires?  I always make a list of things that I want to improve on: eat healthy, read more, pick up a new hobby, date night once a month, special family event once a month, .  This year is no different, I still want to do all those things.  But, all of those things are nothing if I am not intential.  So, that my friends is my New Years Resolution (goal, change, desire).  I want to be intentional with my time, my attitude, and my actions.

So, I have no idea what exactly this looks like, but I'm working on it.  Its easy to lounge on the couch and watch TV, do nothing, think about nothing, but then what do I have to show for myself, my day?  Nothing, I am inspired by the little things and I want, I can do more.  I have no doubt that my family knows I love them, but could I do a better job of showing it?  You bet, I could be more patient, more kind, more thoughtful.  I could watch a couple more football games with Jason or I could watch one Royal's game with him (baseball is fun in person, not fun on tv...).  And then there is Reegan.  That sweet, precious, amazing little girl.  I wonder every day how I got so lucky to be her mom.  I also question if I am raising her the way God hoped.  I love my time with her and I feel guilty when I leave for work in the evenings (even though it is only 3 days a week).  I just keep reminding myself that it is so good for Reegan to have this quality time with Jason and she loves going to daycare 2 days a week, so really it is a win-win.  With the time that I do spend with her, I could be more intentional.  I could plan more educational activities, I could take her to do more fun activities even though I'm exhausted from working the night before...or better yet, I could be more intentional in being the role model I am called to be every day, all day.  I can take an extra breath when she is throwing her water accross the room or be more patient while she tries to put her socks on by herself even though we're going to be late and I know that this is not a skill she has yet.  I will give her more choices and praise her more often for being the brillant, beautiful girl she is!

Look at this face!  I think she's seen her dad and I lounge one too many times because this is her new favorite way to sit in her chair.  Does she look comfy or what?  I love how she has her ankles crossed.  From the time she was born she crosses her ankles while she sleeps, in her car seat, stroller, etc.  Such a little lady. 

1 comment:

audrey said...

great post! reminds me that i need to be more intentional with my family. thanks!

love reegan's crossed ankles! so freakin' cute.