Us

Us

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Potty Training

Thursday afternoon we did a trial potty training session.  Even after reading many articles and talking to people, I still have no idea how to do this.  It seems easy enough while at home when we have nothing to do, but what about when we want to go out?  I do not trust her to put big girl panties on her and see what happens.  Should I still put her in a diaper?  But then I feel like I'm backtracking.  I know she'll get it, plus this was only a trial to see if this was something we should pursue.     
 
We spent 3 hours with the timer set every 15ish minutes.  When the timer went off Reegan had to sit on the potty for 2 minutes. She got really into it and every time the timer went off, she got right on.  If she went potty on the potty we gave her a sticker (she's really into stickers right now and I found some great ones in the dollar section of Target of Seasame Street).  She had 1 accident and recieved 3 stickers.  I felt pretty good about that.  Plus, she had her accident in the kitchen and knew immediately.  "Uh oh, mommy".  So, I think this was a good first try.  I'm just not sure when we're going to get the next chance to practice. 
Much of the afternoon was spent like this.  We needed quick, easy access to the potty at all times.  (I'm going to get into trouble for this pic in a couple years...I just couldn't help myself). 

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Lov'in the little booty shot. :)

I have been contemplating potty training, but haven't done any reading on the topic yet.

Good luck!

Jolene: said...

Such a fun and exciting milestone! Sounds like you're doing everything right and like Reegan is pretty ready. I'd say definitely plan on a few days at home until she gets things down. As far as going out -- go potty before you leave, know where the nearest restroom is at all times, and always pack a change of clothes - for her and for you! Good luck! :)

AJ, Pattie, and Arianna Brewer said...

We use big girl panties at home and training pants abroad and while sleeping. We did practices like you did until our potty party. It is a potty train in 1 day method and worked REALLY well for us. She's not perfect, but she almost always tells us when she needs to go and she has 1 accident every few days usually not her fault. It may be helpful since you all are pretty busy!