Us

Us

Friday, August 17, 2012

Birth Story

Here it is, 7 weeks later.  This labor and delivery was quite a bit different from Reegan's.  We were induced, again.  This time I was only 39 weeks and the doctor didn't feel comfortable letting me go much longer because we both felt this was a large baby.  We were right!!!  I had been saying it for months, that this baby was much bigger.  He just felt like he was crammed in there, more so than Reegan ever did, and when he kicked it hurt, everything was so stretched out.  This picture was taken on June 25, the day Gavin was originally supposed to be born.  We were getting ready to walk out the door for our induction.


We arrived at the hospital and were told to wait in the waiting room.  June 25, must have been the day that babies everywhere wanted to be born because they didn't have enough space or nurses for us.  After an hour or so of waiting, they told us to go home, eat, and take a nap.  They would call me about 11:00 to come back in.  We went home did all those things and at 11:00 the call came.  It was not the call I was hoping for as they told us that they were still very busy and the doctor wanted to reschedule our induction for the following day.  Everyone's question to me is, "were you so disappointed?"  The answer is yes.  I may or may not have been a little hysterical.  I may or may not have also called my mom crying that we were never going to have this baby and how much money we "wasted" sending the dogs to boarding and Reegan to daycare.  After she and Jason talked me off the ledge, we picked up Reegan from daycare early and did a few last minute errands and spent the afternoon with our only child. 

Tuesday, June 26 we woke up bright and early and headed back to the hospital.  This time Jason left our bags in the car until we knew we were going to be staying.  We were assured that we would not be sent home a second time (they were still incredibly busy, I think there were 2 other couples who were sent home).  Thats the crazy thing about L&D, you can't predict when babies are going to decide its time :)  Pitocin was started  at 8:00am and at 10:30 doctor came back to break my water.  The contractions started within minutes of the pitocin starting and after my water broke they were intense.  My mom was there for the entire thing and took notes throughout the day.  Good thing she did, because the day is kind of a blur.  About 11:45 my contractions were very strong and I was deciding when to get an epidural.  I asked to be checked because depending on how far I was, I had the crazy thought of maybe going natural.  Well, I was only 4.5, super disappointing because I thought I was farther along than that.  At 12:45 I got the epidural and at 1:00 I was 6.5 cm dilated.

Our smooth sailing day stopped here.  My body did not react well to the epidural and my blood pressure dropped dramatically.  I felt awful, was throwing up and really thought I was going to pass out.  I think the nurses in the room feared the same thing because they were giving me medication to bring my blood pressure up.  The lowest it got was 60/30 and I can assure you, it was awful.

Pitocin was stopped for a couple of hours due to my blood pressure.  At 4:05 I was dilated to a 7 and at 5:05 I was complete.  Gavin Scott was born at 5:22pm. 
Show-time.  Completely dilated and ready to get this baby out!
Delivery wasn't too bad, suprisingly.  One question I always get asked/people assume is that I had a c-section (people also assume I had gestational diabetes because of his size, but I didn't).  I did have to push more than with Reegan, but 4 times isn't bad! 
Jason cutting the cord and our awesome doctor!
Checking out our new addition


Our first picture with our little man!

Healthy boy!!!
First photo as a family of 4, Reegan was not sure what to think about me being in a hospital bed.  My legs were still numb so there was no where else for me to go!  Day 2 went much smoother and she would actually give Gavin and I hugs and kisses!
At my 6 week check-up I asked the doctor if this means my next baby is going to be big as well.  His prediction is that next baby will be closer in size to Gavin than to Reegan (she was 7lbs, 10oz).  
We are so happy to have 2 healthy babies, the uncomfotable pregnancy and nausea was well worth it!   

No comments: